Putting together something new for lunch always feels like a treat to me. Lunch is usually the meal that is most optional in my life, and is given very little attention. Usually I eat leftovers from a previous day’s dinner, or I skate by on yogurt and granola or cheese and a hard boiled egg. Purposing to make something to be eaten at lunch time is rare, but I should do it more often, because it’s so satisfying!
These are incredibly simple, 10 minute preparations, that are big on flavor, perfect for packing. They work great for hosting a casual lunch, or you could make them in miniature for a shower or tea party.
Curried Turkey, Apple and Watercress Sandwich
This Curried Turkey, Apple and Watercress Sandwich is so fresh and layered with flavor. Easily swap the watercress for arugula which is easier to find. You can locate a good mango chutney at Trader Joe’s. Otherwise possibly in the fine meat and cheese area of your grocer, or in the ethnic food aisle.
Curried Tuna Salad
This recipe for Curried Tuna Salad is my favorite way to eat canned tuna. Have it on bread or with crackers, or even lettuce boats would be nice. If you enjoy canned tuna, you’ll love this.
- 5 oz solid tuna in water, drained well
- 1/4 of a red apple such as honeycrisp, diced small
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons golden or brown raisins
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- Pinch of salt
- Black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together. If mixture looks a little dry, add equal parts yogurt and mayo until you get the right consistency.
- Serve with crackers, or atop mixed greens, bread, naan or in lettuce boats.