I am a coffee lover. There’s no denying that. But there are many days I hit a slump in the afternoon and I really can’t bring myself to drink another cup of coffee. That is when I turn to some surprisingly simple, caffeine-free alternatives, that still put a little pep in my step.
*affiliate links included*
- Wash your face. Splashing your face with cold water and a little facial scrub really leaves your skin feeling fresh and awake. Following that with a moisturizer will add some long lasting hydration. With your moisturizer in hand you can try the next one:
- Massage your face. I was a little skeptical when I first read about this on my sister’s blog, but if you check out the video she shared and try just a couple techniques, it is amazing how much better your face feels. It releases toxins that build up, relieves stress and increases blood flow. It’s addicting.
- Stretch. Just 3-5 minutes of stretching is a really nice way to consciously assess each part of your body and give it a little wake up call. You can simple search YouTube for stretch videos if you aren’t sure where to begin. There are tons!
- Breathe deeply. Part of why we yawn to begin with is because our body is not receiving enough oxygen. It is amazing how much better I feel if I take the time to focus on some slow, deep breathing for a few minutes.
- Increase your heart rate. This is actually simple. Just doing 25-50 jumping jacks is an easy way to get your heart pumping faster and give you a little jolt. Jumping rope is also great.
- Drink ice water with lemon. Ice cold water is refreshing on it’s own and citrus is very awakening.
- Apply or diffuse citrus essential oils. Citrus naturally improves mental clarity. Grapefruit is my happy elixir and I could bathe in that scent. Try lemon, grapefruit, lime, or tangerine essential oil. Sometimes I rub a small amount on my temples and just below my nose so I can smell it. You can diffuse it through the whole house if you own a diffuser.
- Pull your hair back. This one is just for the ladies. Maybe it’s just me? I might be weird. But I legitimately feel more awake and ready to take stuff on when I pull my hair back into a ponytail and then add a stretchy headband to keep the fly-aways away from the frame of my face. Maybe it’s cause I look like a jogger at that point, so the workout vibe is giving me energy, but I’m telling you, try it.
- Turn on some upbeat music. This might be second nature, but it’s worth mentioning. Create a playlist of upbeat tunes that make you want to dance. It will put a smile on your face and make the world feel more alive.
- Brush your teeth. It may be a random time of the day, but do it. The peppermint in your toothpaste is another naturally awakening scent, and there is just something about freshly scrubbed teeth and minty breath that invigorates.
Give some of these a try and tell me how they worked for you. Or tell me what you do to wake up after coffee has found its limits.